"Skinner" is prison slang for pedophile
NHS Gary
2003-12-01 15:39:30 UTC
From a Sunday Boston Globe article about convicted child molester John
Geoghan:

"On the days he chose to join other protective custody inmates in
Concord's ''chow hall,'' Geoghan would run a verbal gauntlet, in which
general-population prisoners, from their locked cells, would shout
insults and elaborate obscenities at him. The prisoners called it
''Thunder Alley.'' And Geoghan did not escape its ferocity.
''Die in hell!''
''Geoghan, you pedophile!''
And, perhaps most frequently, ''Skinner!'' -- prison slang for someone
who has sexually assaulted children.....

I wonder if this prison term is the basis for the naming of our
Principal Skinner? For the Simpons it would be a typically obscure
reference that would fly under the radar of censors and the general
public. And for those who DO get it, it is a highly ironic name.

The full article is at:

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/334/metro/In_death_Geoghan_triggers_another_crisis+.shtml
Yvette Lapreste
2003-12-01 21:16:32 UTC
Post by NHS Gary
I wonder if this prison term is the basis for the naming of our
Principal Skinner? For the Simpons it would be a typically obscure
reference that would fly under the radar of censors and the general
public. And for those who DO get it, it is a highly ironic name.
Ironic how? Humans seek careers whch place them in contact with
what they enjoy. There are more computer enthusiasts in IT jobs
than in other occupations. Principal Skinner's name is maybe the
writers' reference that there are more pedophiles in schools
than working as accountants or short order cooks.
simpsfan
2003-12-01 22:07:14 UTC
Post by Yvette Lapreste
Post by NHS Gary
I wonder if this prison term is the basis for the naming of our
Principal Skinner? For the Simpons it would be a typically obscure
reference that would fly under the radar of censors and the general
public. And for those who DO get it, it is a highly ironic name.
Ironic how? Humans seek careers whch place them in contact with
what they enjoy. There are more computer enthusiasts in IT jobs
than in other occupations. Principal Skinner's name is maybe the
writers' reference that there are more pedophiles in schools
than working as accountants or short order cooks.
Only those pedos that are devious enough or ignorant of their own
desires that they would put themselves in a situation where they can
potentially harm someone. Those who try to control their impulses would
make a point of avoiding situations or jobs with children as much as
possible and we would hope that this represents the larger number of
pedos.
Jsonitsac
psychologist B.F. Skinner.
ZaPP Brannigan
Paul Hyett
2003-12-02 07:46:49 UTC
Post by NHS Gary
From a Sunday Boston Globe article about convicted child molester John
<Snip>

Going off at a tangent :

'Paedo-' refers to children (from Latin) - AFAIK 'pedo-' comes from the
Greek for 'ground'... :)
Paul 'US Sitcom Fan' Hyett
Fratello Kraus
2003-12-02 18:09:25 UTC
Post by Paul Hyett
'Paedo-' refers to children (from Latin) - AFAIK 'pedo-' comes from
the Greek for 'ground'... :)
AFAIK it derives from "pàis-paidòs", ancient greek, meaning "child".
--
Giorgio